Singular Stitches: Crafty Girl

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Crafty Girl

OK, here you have it! Alert the media! Real, live evidence that I have been a Crafty Girl!

Lace can be one of those Hallelujah! projects. You knit and knit and knit, minding your own business, doing all of those K2TOGs, YOs, SSKs and the like, and all you have is this scrunched up piece of interwoven yarn that basically looks like a bath pouf. You don't see anything until you've knitted a few repeats and it's stretched out. Then, all of a sudden, it's like WOW, there is a design in all that chaos!

Probably how that person felt while eating their grilled cheese sandwich...

Hallelujah! (cue horns and cherubs)

PICT0547


The Feather and Fan scarf for MIL was my movie project this past weekend. The pattern has been successfully committed to memory, and because it's not a particularly complicated pattern, I can devote more attention to the movie than to the knitting. It's pretty, and looks quite intricate, but has to be in the running for 'The Most Basic Knit Lace Pattern Ever'.

And don't those holes look just like little kitty toe prints???

PICT0548


We watched V for Vendetta. This was such an excellent movie! Of course, I fell for V, right along with Natalie Portman, tall, dark, English accent...mask! Very cool. You certainly wouldn't be scared walking with him down a back alley...

And we also watched The Red Violin. This was recommended to us, and the story line really didn't appeal to me at first, but as we watched it, I got into it. It follows the travels of a violin from when it was first made back in 17th century Italy through to the auction block in present day France. It was very good. The majority of the movie was spoken English, but there were scenes where we had to turn on subtitles, so those were the official 'Knit Breaks'.


I was able to steal some time out on the deck Saturday afternoon and was drawn to work on Santa of the Forest a bit.

Cooler weather = Winter project?
Singular Stitches = goofy?
Who can tell? :o)


I only worked on him one afternoon, so I only completed a about two inches of fill in at the bottom of the very dark burgundy strip on the far right, the lighter blue at the top of the checkerboard section, and the lighter purple flower on the bottom of Santa's cuff, below the bear's left paw.

PICT0544


Also, thank you for the comments on the Welcomes. I think I'll probably get them framed. One can go in the entry and another in the...maybe powder room. Not sure, but they will be finished.


Almost forgot!
Car update: DH is currently in battle negotiation with most of the Toyota dealers in our area. We don't need to immediately replace my car, so we have the luxury of time, and as we're not intense business people, we're using this as a learning experience. Stay tuned...

5 Comments:

Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Mr. Bear looks is looking great and I love the lace. Great job!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the incredible art of negotiating with car salesmen. :) That was the nice thing about the Honda. There was no negotiating. It just doesn't happen, especially when you're buying a car with a waiting list. I hope you get your new Camry soon!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Lelia said...

btw, Santa of the Forrest looks like a BEAR to me LOL!

Your knitting is spectacular. I have tried & failed at knitting. I still may give it another try this winter.

The 'boys' watched V for Vendetta, too. I fell asleep.

Thanx for your comment on my blog re. the hawk. I will be calling the vet on Monday & have to ask about the carrier. I have had it outside - airing it out - and planned to use a bleach-based cleaner on it. The old towels I used were intended for the litter bin ...

AND, I love the cartoon with the cat selling the dog on e-bay, how clever!

Good luck with the car shopping. I like the Honda products - I've wanted the Accord for awhile & know it will never ever happen.

Isn't it fun to unearth older stitching projects??? What a riot! And your cat in the brand new chair cracked me up. Our daughter's cat took over the only good chair in our living area -- I have to keep a sheet over the chair all the time. Oh well ... it is the life of a cat & we deal with it.

Enjoy your week-end

Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Wow! Your lace knitting is fabulous. Oh, I wish I could knit like that! You are one talented lady :)

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:37:00 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Love, love, love your knitted lace!! I'm in awe! :D

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home