Singular Stitches: Knitting and PM Tylenol don't mix!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Knitting and PM Tylenol don't mix!

I was almost finished with sock #1 from Monday's post, and was down to the last 8 sitches I needed to bind off to finish the toe...and I'm not exactly sure what happened...other than I had a nasty headache took some PM Tylenol.


For those who don't knit,let me back up and give you some detail.

You work the sock until you get to about the bottom of where your big toe becomes it's own...toe. Then you start to decrease at the to junctions where the top and bottom of the sock meet, and keep decreasing until you have about 4 top stitches and 4 bottom stitches.

At that point, you give yourself some extra yarn and cut it off from the ball of yarn. You have to turn the sock inside out so when you bind-off, it's inside (kind of like keeping the seams inside). Well, it's a bit difficult to try to turn the sock inside out with the double point needles still attached, so you transfer the stitches to pieces of yarn or ribbon (I like 1/8" ribbon) and get all ribbon ends and the extra length of yarn and try to stuff it into the teeny, tiny hole at the toe. That I was able to do successfully.

Once the sock is inside out, you transfer the stitches back to the DPNs and bind off. My PM Tylenol-impaired brain just couldn't coordinate that intricate task, and drop the stitches and couln't get them back. I think I tossed the sock on the floor in front of my nightstand.


Maybe tonight I'll feel brave enough to try again.


While that sock lay beached on my bedroom floor, last night, I went looking for it's mate skein of yarn in acticipation of getting the other sock started soon. But, as I was searching, I came across another sock where I'd finished the first sock, but only just started the second.

For years, I scoffed at those knitters who succumbed to the First Sock Syndrome (this is actually a documented ailment!). Those knitters who knitted the first sock and were bored and moved onto another project, leaving the one sock alone and unwanted. That was not me! I could never do that to a poor, defenseless sock!

Sitting in the dark, at the bottom of my yarn basket, I came across a single unwanted, unloved sock.

Was I in denial?

Did I too suffer from that same First Sock Syndrome I smirked at others for?


Shock and shame forced me to do what I did next. I picked up that sock and it's barely started mate and promised that it wouldn't be alone for long.

Here's the evidence...

11 Comments:

Blogger Carto said...

Hey Sweetie!

I've had such an awful day at work, and apologies, as I don't want you to think that I'm laughing at your misfortune, but I did laugh out loud! You have such a way with words :-) Thanks for the explanation on sock knitting. I've always wanted to learn how to knit - I've tried from a book but I made a complete mess of it. I think it's something I need to be shown person to person. I hope you're feeling better xx

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Too funny. I wish I could get the hang of socks but I'm hopeless. I can do regular knitting, but the DPNs just throw me completely and I mess up every time!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Hahahah! Isn't life a kick? I always worry about finding myself in one of those situations - you know, the "I feel like I'm better than so-and-so because I don't do such-and-such" only to find out that you really do! LOL. Sorry about the sock debaucle with the Tylenol PM. Apparently, it made you a bit foggy. Maybe you can blame that other partial sock on it, too? ;) And is that a tattoo I spy on your ankle, miss?

P.S. Love your latest photo. It really brings attention to your eyes. Have you lost weight?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Oh, Jenna! I KNEW I liked you!!

Thank you, but no, I haven't. (I was actually a few pounds lighter in my last picture, but it was so dark (and taken last Winter), that it really needed to be updated.)

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Carto, thanks, Girl! You know, I try to laugh at life and look at the funny side of things, because if I took it all too seriously, I'd be done in...

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Poor thing. At least some good will come of it - your poor sock will now have a mate...and it will give you time to recuperate from the other "unfortunate incident" with a sock. LOL

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the sock looks great despite its traumatic existance :)

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger prajantr said...

oh my...sounds like an interesting set of circumstances.

I've been pondering giving a shot at knitting a pair of socks - your explanation helps a lot towards my being able to visualize how the sock is supposed to be finished. :P

Note to self: knitting + Tylenol PM could result in interesting side effects...

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Well I'm glad that you found the other sock so that you could finish it's mate. It just got lost in the basket, who can remember when its not front and center?!!?
BTW I So feel for you on the stitches being lost.....the main thing abt knitting socks. Adn I take it you arent a kitchener stitch gal, huh?

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol funny ... well apart from that you were ill. Hope you're feeling better. Love the socks!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hey there ~ I have a friend who seriously suffers from One Sock Syndrome. We keep hoping to find her a one-legged man to pair her up with. I don't think there's any cure for her. I'm so happy you found your own solution though!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home