Singular Stitches: Toasty Toes

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Toasty Toes

I've finally finshed my my Lorna's Laces socks. Normally, socks don't take this long for me to complete, but, oh well. I love the colors! The colorway is called Flames, and it really captures the color of a cozy fire in the fireplace. (And doesn't Abner make the socks look so much better?)

PICT0165

Maybe five years ago, when I took a knitted sock class at my LYS, I was taught the top-down method. I've been intrigued with the toe-up version, but never got up the courage to actually try it. (It's like when you first tried waste canvas to cross stitch on a sweatshirt - after you tried it, you wonder why it seemed so intimidating). Wendy at Wendy Knits kindly shared her toe-up sock pattern on her blog, so I'll be trying it as my first toe-up.

PICT0170

I have no idea what yarn or colorway this is. I've had the yarn for a while, and previously started socks with it and changed my mind, so it's now just two balls of naked yarn. The colors remind me of the popping corn (the old fashioned kind, not microwave :o) where the kernels were colored. (As a child, I was so bummed that the popped corn wasn't also colored - but that's another story)

I'm making these on US#1.5 INOX needles with a gauge of 6st/inch (INOX are metal needles, and have sharper points). I would typically knit this weight of yarn with US#1 or #0 needles, but I wanted a thinner sock fabric.

On the cross stitch front: I have been stitching, but I've been working on my exchange piece almost exclusively this past week. I am 4/7 complete! It's getting there! (I SO hope that JoAnn is not allergic to cat hair!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorette said...

Lovely socks! And a very lovely kitty, too (both of them, actually)!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks! I really like the flame color.

Monday, April 24, 2006 4:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home