Singular Stitches: Sewing for the Niecelets

Friday, February 24, 2006

Sewing for the Niecelets

I'm breaking out the sewing machines (both the sewing machine and the serger) this weekend to do some sewing for my two nieces.

My one niece just turned old enough that DH and I bought her her first American Girl doll for her birthday this month. I had an American Girl catalog sent to her so she could pick out the exact doll she wanted. We went through the catalog over the phone, trying to narrow her search down to ONE doll. Once she found the one she wanted (Kit, if you're curious), I asked her if she wanted the accessories that go with Kit, and to this she replied very matter of factly, "Auntie, girls like accessories." I took that as a Yes. The clothes are frightfully expensive, so I picked out some patterns to make her some clothes for Kit.

Actually, all American Girl stuff is expensive. I think it's a way to condition young girls so that it's an easy transition to buying Longaberger baskets when they're adults.

Her younger sister is still a Barbie girl, and so, I also want to make her some clothes for her Barbies.

PICT0016

I'd like you to meet the other furbaby. This is Itchey. She's very prissy, can be skittish, and stays on the periphery when we have guests at the house. Southern Belle is a good description of her. She's very reserved, very polite, very dainty, but look out when she lets her hair down. She can put any cat toy in it's place, and Abner is usually the target of her ambushes. While Abner loves everybody, Itchey has only bonded with me and that took three years. (She tolerates DH) When she was three, she had her first (of many) urinary infection. DH was out of town, and I stayed with her continually and comforted her through the worst. That's when she truly bonded with me. She's very talkative and when she comes into a room, I'll say hello to her and she'll respond with a trill. She also initiates conversation. She's got a beautiful meow, but only meows when we go to the vet. She likes to be continually spoiled, like her Mummy. DH calls us two peas in a pod. At night, as soon as I get into bed, she comes up to curl up along my left side. When it's really cold, she curls up tightly next to me under the covers.

PICT0052

It's interesting, I don't have children, but I've heard it said that mothers love each child differently. As with the kitties (who are my children), I can see that it's so true. I love both kitties equally, but have very different relationships with each one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Von said...

What a wonderful gift to give your niece!! I think my youngest dd will be getting an AG doll for her birthday in April and I'm sure she'll get my sewing machines humming straight away as I won't pay those prices for clothes either!! :)
I've never sewn Barbie clothes, tho. Seems rather difficult as there are so many small pieces. Kuddos to you for being such a great Auntie!!

Friday, February 24, 2006 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More beautiful kitty pictures! I love the story of how you and Itchey finally bonded. :)

But you didn't say how she came by the name Itchey? ;)

Friday, February 24, 2006 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger Bastet said...

my two felines are just about as differant as night and day, and I don't mean just colour wise. My male is a spaz and the female laid back, but can be talkitive when she wants to be or wants something. DH says we should've named her Itchy...she's constantly rubbing her face against things.

Friday, February 24, 2006 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger lobea2004 said...

Hi! Thanks for your post on my blog. I love Barbie colthes and I look forward with seeing your clothes!

Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Anne S said...

Like Jenna, the name Itchey intrigues me ... sounds like something from The Simpsons ;D Another cutey! :)

Thursday, March 02, 2006 5:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home