Singular Stitches: This is Halloween! This is Halloween!

Monday, May 01, 2006

This is Halloween! This is Halloween!

Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!
In this town we call home
Everyone hail to the pumpkin song!


From Nightmare Before Christmas


I began this project over the weekend...

Is it just me or does the pumpkin look like the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

PICT0231

I plan to make this into a bellpull for the entry. I'm using 25 ct. DMC evenweave fabric for this. I got it at JoAnn Fabrics. It was a 20"X27" piece and I used a 50% coupon, so that for each of the four Medley bellpulls I plan to make, the fabric for each bellpull ends up being about $1.00. I'm not too crazy with the quality of it. It splits easily, and I've had to unstitch some stitches already. It can also be stretched out of shape without a lot of effort (it's not a tight weave) and it has a dishrag cottony feel, not a smooth feel. I guess I was expecting fabric similar to Lugana. IMHO, I wouldn't use it for an important project (if you're planning to make one of the Cross Stitch and Country Crafts stockings, DO NOT use this fabric - buy 'real' Lugana from a cross stitch shop).

And, yes, I'm not sure how I managed it, but I was WAY off centering the design on the fabric. I had cut the fabric much wider than I needed so I would have some fabric to hold onto (since the design is so narrow), so it won't affect the finishing. (What will all the other engineers think now? *hangs head in shame* )


Also, all the stitching (and backstitching!) on my Beginner's Exchange piece is complete!

Take two steps back from your computer and dance about for a couple of seconds...OK, you may proceed in an organized manner back to your computer.

My plan was to finish the stitching Friday evening, but didn't complete the last back stitch until Sunday morning. I will do all the finishing tomorrow evening.

We watched the newest version of Pride & Prejudice Saturday evening (which is probably why I didn't complete the exchange piece). I just didn't care for this version. At all. If you love the book, I think you'll find this version too watered down. They way they had the actors portray the characters did not do them justice (both the characters and actors). I was really looking forward to see how Judi Dench played Lady Cathering de Bourgh, paticularly the scene at the end where she faces off with Lizzie. Since other characters were so off, I don't think it was Judi Dench (an actor I really like). Even Donald Sutherland (as Mr. Bennet) mumbled more than he had lines (and Mr. Bennet had some wonderfully witty things to say). The actor who played Mr. Darcy looked more sulky than proud. He really didn't capture the Mr. Darcy role. I like Keira Knightly, she was good in Pirates of the Carribean and Love Actually, but I think she was in over her head trying Jane Austin.

With that said, collect a good cup of tea, your cross stitch and watch this version.



I just looked back over my post. Wow. I'll go take my Crank-B-Gone pills now. I'm really not this cranky... I woke up 2 hours early this morning and it shows!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a cranky post, just chock full of realism. :) I think your bellpull is off to a fabulous start and YES, the pumpkin's face does look like the abominable in the claymation Rudolph! LOL

Monday, May 01, 2006 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Carto said...

I happy danced to down the landing and back for you!

Yes I had exactly the same experience when using DMC evenweave. It was a good few years ago and since then I either use Belfast linen or Lugana (mind you it's strange that I'm using Aida for the projects I'm doing at the moment..hmm).

Hey, if you can't have a good old crank on your own blog where else can you let off steam? I've been there and bought the t-shirt when a design I did recently went 'Pete Tong' on me (i.e. wrong). Your fellow stitchers are here for you :)x

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 4:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home