Singular Stitches: We have scarvage...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

We have scarvage...

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind comments with words of encouragement about my car situation. My car is currently at the shop having the cooling system examined with a fine toothed comb.

I've been plugging away at my Christmas gifts. The MIL scarf is my commuter project on the way in and home during the week. It's only fitting that I use the sun visor in DH's truck to display my progress:

PICT0607


Here's the progress on my Mum's scarf:

PICT0604

I've really learned a lot about lace knitting while working on this scarf:

Firstly, it's visually evident if you look at the bottom. I didn't realize it until displaying it this morning, but the very bottom is just...chaos. I've learned that lace is something that requires more attention than regular knitting. For now, this project will have to be worked on while sitting in the Parlour with few interruptions. Not a multi-tasking project.

Secondly, I've learned that, for now, I will need to count every stitch on the back-side row (the purl row). The main art of the pattern is repeated three times (10 stitches each). Every so often, when knitting on the right side, I would only have 9 stitches and not enough to knit the pattern stitches. I figured out that I was accidentally purling together a K2TOG or a SSK stitch and a YO. The yarn is so thin, they sit close together on the needle and I've accidentally treated them as one stitch.

I think I will frog it and start again. (Yes, words that knitters everywhere have come to fear, but very necessary) The part I messed up is really bothering me now and it's in a place that's very prominent and it's also a gift. I think it will go much faster this time around, and I haven't the foggiest clue how to correct mistakes in lace.

It used to be that I might get four rows done before I had to put it down, now that I've got the hang of it, I can easily knit 8-10 rows before I have to put it down. It's all a learning experience and why I've started these now, and not November! :o)


Robin's Nest RR News: I received Sue's RR piece from Wendy. The theme is ducks (not surprising if you read Sue's blog!). I can't say that I've ever stitched a duck, but when I saw the selection of duck designs I could hardly decide because they were all so cute and the colors are so vibrant. I chose the Wigeons (besides the picture was so darned cute, it also reminded me of Pigwidgeon)I started with a few white stitches that aren't particularly photo-worthy, so when I've done a little more, I'll post a progress picture.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Leigh Smith said...

The scarves are lovely! I'm learning how to knit right now. It's fun, but my hands don't let me do it for more than 8-10 rows. I'm the same way with crochet. Darn fibro, lol.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger catandturtle said...

Your scarves are just beautiful. They are really impressive. Your mom and MIL are very lucky to be receiving these handmade treasures. Ann.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love your scarves! I really need to learn how to knit.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy your ability to knit lace. Both of the scarves are beautiful, though I'm partial to the purple one (or is it blue?) for your MIL. ;) I'm sorry you're going to have to rip out the one for your mother, but I'm sure you will go much faster the second time around.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! your scarves are looking really good, I always give up on lace knitting after just five minutes of trying. Keep going!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:24:00 PM  
Blogger Peg said...

The scarves are just lovely! I just got the newest listing of knitting classes from my local shop, and lace is one of them. I think now that I will definitely be taking it, seeing your work confirmed it. I have a lace doily that my mom gave me and that was my first clue that I wanted to take it. Again lovely work.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Your scarves are lovely.

Lace can take more concentration, especially before you get used to the machinations. It looks like you're definitely getting the hang of it, though. Very pretty!

Friday, September 01, 2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your scarves are just beautiful, makes me wish I had the patience to sit down and knit but alas, I don't.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home