Singular Stitches: Bits o' this and that

Monday, July 30, 2007

Bits o' this and that

The mail-lady was very sweet and left some lovely little packages on my doorstep.



Favorite Socks has the Flame Wave pattern I'm currently making (the lilac socks). I got the book out from the library, but saw so many patterns I simply must make, and since I didn't think the library would let me keep it indefinitely, I just had to get my very own copy. And no self-respecting knitting Harry Potter fan should be without Alison Hansel's Charmed Knits. My 'To Do' list increased ten-fold. Seriously.



And, I can now start DSis's Gelato bag. Both needles came, plus I even picked up the yarn for her Christmas gift. The pink yarn is Tahki's Jolie, which is a sumptuously soft angora/merino yarn. I found the cutest fingerless mitts pattern, and they'll look adorable on her. Pink is her signature color.


I'll never profess to have a love of gardening. (Not a gene inherited from Mum - see earlier post) In fact, I really think I should have just inherited a large English Manor, complete with a full staff to attend to all gardening. It would be my job to walk about the extensive gardens, adorned in a pretty silk frock, and having tea brought out on the terrace as in most Jane Austin novels. Don't get me wrong, I'd treat them very well. I think the Brady's had it right, with that green astroturf in their yard. How many episodes did you see Greg or Peter out there mowing the grass? No, they spent their time having potato sack races!

I don't plant many extraneous plants because it's one less plant that will eventually die, with me suffering right along with it trying to save it. However, since we moved into our house, I've wanted large stone urn planters for either side of the front porch. The stone-urn-price to plant-kill-rate ratio was a bit unbalanced to expect the Appropriations Committee (i.e. DH) to approve of such a purchase, so I compromised and went the bronze-looking-resin route. Appropriations had no issue with this purchase except for cracking snide remarks about the expected life span of the poor plants that would reside in them once they became mine. For such rude remarks, the Appropriations Committee had to not only carry said items to the truck, but also help relocate the plants.

After getting dirt in places I can't fathom how it got there, and getting totally soaked watering two plants, here is the fruit of my labor:



The flowers are Hardy Mums. I'm partial to them because I have a 'Hardy' Mum. She's about 98lbs soaking wet, but she's as hardy as the Rock of Gibraltar. I like the rust colored autumn version, but these are a gorgeous burgundy color. There are also about a gazillion buds on them, so I should expect a few flowers to bloom. ;o)




And here's an update of The Prayer. A little last night while watching The Barkley's of Broadway (Astaire-Rogers) and a little during lunch today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kendra said...

I saw that Harry Potter knitting book in the latest The Stitchery catalog...if I could knit, that would be a tempting book for me!

The Barkleys of Broadway...I love Fred Astaire's shoe dance. It's simple compared to what they do with stuff today, but at that time, it was pretty ingenious. I'm working my way through his movies, either catching them as they come on Turner Classic Movies or renting them from our library.

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Your urns and plants are beautiful. Great progress on your WIP.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:08:00 PM  
Blogger Hazel said...

That is some front porch!! I'm not green fingered either so I know how you feel. Love the wool!! xx

Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Aussie Stitcher said...

Your plants look great, you'll have to show more pictures when they are in full bloom!!!!

Joanne

Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home