Singular Stitches: The Mum Sweater, Grey's, and Other Things

Friday, July 06, 2007

The Mum Sweater, Grey's, and Other Things

I've been working on my Mum's sweater. There is a lady I work with who is almost exactly the same size and height as my Mum (tiny), and she agreed to be my 'Sweater Tester'. Here's my progress so far:



Per my tester, I need to knit four more inches on the body, then the bottom ribbing. This will make the sweater hip length and more like a jacket. I hope to get the bodice completed this weekend.

I think I was able to get so much done because I was also knee deep into watching Grey's Anatomy, 2nd season (I even got DH into it!). Between dabbing my eyes and blowing my nose (Oh, Denny and McDog), I was able to get some serious knitting done.

For most TV shows, I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately. I can never seem to get around to watching a series when it first comes out. I'm just not a fixed-time-or-commercial- TV person. The last series I actually would watch 'live' on TV was X-Files. No, wait, we also watched Carnivale on HBO. It's been a while.

On a bunch of knitting blogs I read, a number of knitters participate in a knit-a-long called 'Knitting with Grey's'. This piqued my interest, so I got Season 1 from the library (it only took about 6 months on the waiting list!) and loved it. So, I requested Season 2 and just finished it up a couple days ago. Season 3 doesn't come out on DVD until September 11th, just about the time season 4 starts up, so I'll might have to do a combination of taping them on TV and buying the others from iTunes so we'll be ready for season 4 to begin. I'm also watching back seasons of Lost, Numbers and Gilmore Girls.


Since Autumn is right around the corner (I can't wait!), I decided to make a cuddly afghan for The Ladies' Parlour. I picked up a JoAnn Fabrics brand yarn called Angel *something* (I don't think it's Soft - that's a brand of TP ;o). It's so soft, and I found a colorway that coordinates well with my furniture. (And, I think the cats will love it because it's so soft, warm and comfy - the real reason for getting it, let's be perfectly honest).

I'm keeping it simple, just a knit 4 stitches, purl 4 stitches, repeating for 8 rows then purl 4 stitches, knit 4 stitches, and so on, making a sort of basket weave looking pattern. On either end, I'm going to add 6 inch fringe. It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 45"X120" with the fringe.



It's going to replace this (I love the color and I love chenille, but it's really not all that warm and cuddly):




OK, I'll finish up with a recent Wal-Mart purchase that was just so darn cute, I couldn't pass it up. They had these tshirts and boxer shorts with characters from a cartoon strip (I forget the name, sorry I just don't read the funnies). How could I not buy something that has Itchey-esque and Abner-esque images on it? I also got the turquoise matching boxers, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carto said...

Hey Sweetie :), thanks so much for dropping by and cheering me up. Fudge is back to climbing trees and terrorizing the neighbourhood bird population today - little tinker!

I looove the 'All you need is Wuv' shirt and you're Mum is going to look fab in that jumper. Thanks again Honey, you're a sweetheart xx

Friday, July 06, 2007 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Ok I just LOVE Grey's Anatomy!! I'm also part of the Grey's KAL but honestly, there is NO knitting while I"m watching a new episode of Grey's.
Seriously.

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Seriously!

Saturday, July 07, 2007 1:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home