Singular Stitches: Lying face down in a dark room...

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Lying face down in a dark room...

For the knitters reading this, Elizabeth Zimmermann mentions in one of her books that after putting steeks (slits cut - with scissors! - into the sweater body so that sleeves can be added), because of the stress of cutting into a knitted item, go into a dark room and lie on the floor face down.

I can totally relate.

I've made almost a dozen cross-stitched Christmas stockings, and every time I go to sew them into a finished stocking, my stress level goes off the charts. Taking scissors to completed cross-stitch just feels wrong.

Since DSis's DH is now 'official', he gets the 'Now-you're-part-of-the-family-and-there's-nothing-you-can-do-about-it-now' Christmas Stocking. Every family member has one made by me. I made DSis a Shepherd's Bush stocking in 1998. The design was Sophie's stocking:



The stocking I made for DSis's DH is Christian's stocking, also by Shepherd's Bush. I did a personal best for completing it in record time. I started stitching it on December 3rd, and completed it on December 20th.

Come, share in my stress....

1. Draw the desired shape of the stocking and cut it out (don't forget the seam allowances!) I'm really, really picky about the shape of the stocking. Just getting the shape right is the most stressful for me. This was even worse, because I also had to make sure it matched the size and shape of the one I already made DSis.



2. Cut out the backing and lining fabric. The plaid is the backing, and the stars are for the lining.



3. Make the piping.



4. Make sure the shape matches DSis's before sewing on the piping.



5. Sew the backing to the front, and sew the lining pieces together. Then sew lining to outside of stocking.



6. Finished!



7. Testing them out on the fireplace.



It's at this time that I realize how much my hands are shaking!

I'll be going to lie face down in a dark room now...

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

What a beautiful stocking! Congrats on a great finish!!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the same ones for Lindsay and Lauren.
Although your finishing is much better than mine.
Great job, and fast!!
Merry Christmas and love to you both.
Vik

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Both stockings look beautiful to me!!

I've never been brave enough to try a stocking...flat-folds and pillows leave me nervous enough as it is....

I hope your Christmas was a merry one!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:50:00 PM  
Blogger varaplata said...

I love your works. Actually I did not know how to do this kind of work, thanks for exposing your own, now I can put your ideas into practice.
Happy new year 2009 from Seville ( Spain)

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home