Singular Stitches: A Wedding Interrupt

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Wedding Interrupt

When the president of the company for which I work has a data request, we call that a "Bob Interrupt". If someone else needs data from me, I tell them I'm working on a "Bob Interrupt" and it's a given that Bob requests pre-empt all other requests. (Bob is a really, really great guy, so everyone totally understands the "Bob Interrupt" concept)

I've just been given a "Wedding Interrupt". A knitting project that puts all other projects I'm currently working on in hibernation until this project is completed.

DSis is "going to the chapel and she's gonna get ma-ah-ah-rried..." (I never was a particularly good singer :o) Although she won't be going to a chapel, she is getting married. She and DFiance (the guy formerly known as DBF) are having a very small, private ceremony with an intimate soiree afterwards, gathering only family and very close friends.

Blush and Bashful are her signature 'cahlahs', so she's asked our "Mum of the Bride" to wear something to coordinate. Mum has asked me to make her a lacy shawl. I bought Prism Lace from The Loopy Ewe in, can you believe it, the Blush colorway. How perfect is that??

Mum likes the Swallowtail Shawl I made for DSis, but would want it bigger. Just to try some things out, I cast on for the Flower Basket Shawl, with some Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud (Peppermint Heather), which I had on hand, but am not sure if the Flower Basket pattern is formal enough.

I have two months to complete this shawl, as DSis's special day is November 5th. Since I've already made the Swallowtail Shawl once, and it was a very quick knit, it's sort of the front runner. And thanks to all those wonderful knitters on Ravelry, I was able to find some knitters who have increased the Swallowtail, so I know what I'd need to do to make the shawl larger without having to figure it out myself. I also have time until I the Prism yarn shows up on my doorstep, so I'll keep an eye out.

Here's what I've knit so far on the Flower Basket:



And a closeup of a basket:




I made this swatch using a US#5 needle, which is what the pattern called for. I don't like how it looks. It looks too 'thin', like the yarn is spread too thin. I'm a loose knitter anyway, so I'm going to try a repeat of the basket lace using US#4 needles to see how that looks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home