Singular Stitches: If you forget about stitching something, did you really stitch it?

Friday, June 02, 2006

If you forget about stitching something, did you really stitch it?

Kind of like a tree falling in a forest...

I was going through my craft room closet this past weekend looking for some fabric when I came across the Mother Lode of my old chart stash (which is considerable) and a couple of stitched projects from years ago that I totally forgot I ever stitched.

(I always seem to be writing about stitching in a place far, far away and a time long, long ago)

One of the pieces, which I intended to make into a pillow, is from The Cat by Cross Eyed Cricket. As you can see, it's from 1999. I totally forgot about ever doing this piece.

I added the extra 's' to make it 'Cats' and added the cats' names. Would you expect anything different? :o)

PICT0384


Onto the other piece I found...

I don't have much cross stitch done by Mum. She doesn't finish much. That's not to say she doesn't cross stitch a lot. She does. She'll start a project, work on it for a while, almost complete it, put it down and start another. It didn't make sense to me to start a projet then just abandon it when so close to completion. Now that I'm older and wiser, I do understand and appreciate her reasoning. She is a process stitcher and her enjoyment and satisfaction is in the act of cross stitching, not in the completion.

I can understand this because I would have to say that I'm more of a process knitter. I really don't finish a high volume of projects, but I love the act of knitting. Give me some good feeling yarn, comfy needles and I could just knit on and on, not making anything other than an ovesized swatch. (Which is probably why I enjoy making kitty snuggles - mindless knitting/crochet but for a good cause)

Anyways, I saw the following design in one of Mum's issues of Cross Country Stitching and asked her to make it for me. I notice she didn't sign it, so I'll have to get her to, but it must be from the very late 90's.

PICT0386

In current stitching news, no stitching was completed last night.

A new family moved in a couple weeks ago catty-corner to us and the wife scrapbooks and is starting to get into rubberstamping! Yes!!! She had a Stampin' Up! party last night (having a home show party a mere two weeks after moving in was enough to impress everyone in attendance alone, not to mention how nice she - and her family - are). Most of us who attended already belong to a stamp group with our SU! demonstrator (who also did last night's show), but it was a really fun way for her to meet some of us on the street. I even won the door prize!

After I get home from a "girly gathering" (crafty, stamping, bunco) I have to, as DH calls it, detox. I can't just come home and get ready for bed. I have to do something to take the activity and excitement level down a couple notches. So, I worked on getting the knitting blogs I follow subscribed to in Bloglines. We also watched The Prize Winner from Defiance, Ohio. A must watch. Julianne Moore was so good as the lead. I believe this movie is based on a real family's story. I recommend it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations on your find. It must of been exciting to see after all these years.

I totally understand what you mean about being a process knitter. I love to knit, but I rarely make anything other than scarves or "blankets." I love the exquisite yarns that are available, and just enjoy the knitting process.

Sounds like you had a blast at the rubber stamping party. :)

Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lelia said...

I want to dash to my closet & pull out some cute stuff!!! How much fun it must have been for you to unearth some treasures.

I've not tried stamping or scrapbooking -- I'm afraid to launch into a new hobby. Glad you had fun with the gang & got to meet your new neighbors.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Von said...

Your new neighbor sounds like a good one to get to know and be friends with! Now that I'm finished with my apron, I need to get some graduation announcement cards made for my dd's graduation and party coming up in a couple of weeks. I haven't taken up knitting or crochet in an attempt to limit my hobby spending, lol!

Monday, June 05, 2006 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I went to a Stampin Up party this weekend as well - had to get some of those retiring sets!

Monday, June 05, 2006 7:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home