Singular Stitches: Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! We have fan-age in the Craftatorioum!

Monday, June 05, 2006

Oh, Boy! Oh, Boy! We have fan-age in the Craftatorioum!

After much colorful language (DH), a large glass of wine (me) and much sweat (both), I now have a ceiling fan in my Craftatorioum.

I am thrilled!

PICT0389


When we first viewed our house-to-be, DH graciously let me have the largest of the extra bedrooms because I needed more room for my craft stuff. Not only does it have two closets (which someday might get a Closet Maid looking configuration), but a glorious view of our back yard. The really cool part is that the wallpaper, border, blinds and valance were all here courtesy of the previous owners.

For my Christmas present the year we moved in, I got a set of home office furniture: L-shaped desk (for my sewing machines and laptop), lateral file (for my cardstock) and bookcase (for all of my rubber stamp sets).

According to Dream Sewing Spaces (which I feverishly studied before we moved into our house), the sewing table height should be the standing measurement from the floor to the underside of the elbow when bending the arm at a right angle. So, my dad made me a custom 41" high sewing table that measures 4' X 7'. It's amazing how working at that height makes cutting out patterns easy on the back and arms. It beats the heck out of crawling around on the floor. That worked in my late teens and 20's, but my late 30's body frowns upon such a practice!

This is what my room looked like right after originally putting it together and before I was let loose to craft. I wish it was this neat and tidy right now.

Lynn's Room 1


About a year ago, I finally found a source for a gridded rotary mat large enough to cover the entire table top and DH and my dad put wood edging around the perimeter of the table top to keep the mat from shifting. DH also added some hooks on the sides of legs for me to hang my scissors and tape measures. I also bought a drafter's chair high enough so that I can sit at the one end of my table and rubber stamp. After six years, the only thing left to be done to the table is stain it. It's almost always in use, so who knows when we'll actually get around to doing that.


And, of course, no room of mine would be complete without a place for a kitty to comfortably snuggle up. This is Abner chilling while I made my blog entry this evening. (Mummy, can I help, can I?)

PICT0393

And a little stitching progress was made. The project du jour is Santa of the Forest. I did a little more of the red in the lower right corner, the red around the purple of Santa's mitten and started some of the checkerboard print.

PICT0391

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your craft room looks awesome! I'm in the middle of adapting one end of the rumpus room to be my craft area, and I have to say it's great not having to pack everything away every time I use it!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 5:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Very nice craftroom! Now to decide which of the kids to kick out of the house so I can set up my own! ;)

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Meari said...

I absolutely love your craft room!! I've got all sorts of ideas now... LOL

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your craft room is incredible! Once we move our computer room into the basement, I think I'll take over that (slightly larger) room for my crafting. Congratulations on the new fan. It looks great and should help to keep things cool. :)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home