Singular Stitches: I can play with beads

Friday, October 13, 2006

I can play with beads

I'm not a girl with a lot of good jewelry. I've got three important pieces of jewelry and that's it: my engagement/wedding rings, a diamond heart pendant necklace, and diamond stud earrings (all from DH). That's it. I'm just too hard on it to put the money into good jewelry. I either lose it or damage it. I've already knocked out one of the baugettes from my engagement ring.

Costume jewelry is right up my alley because it's inexpensive so if something happens to it, so what?

A few years ago, a neighbor introduced me to making my own jewelry. I don't do much more than string pretty glass beads on an elastic cord. (Nowhere near the fabulous designs I've seen on other blogs) I make them long enough that I don't need to even add a clasp.

Here are some I've recently made:

PICT0687


And how could I not add this gratuitous kitty picture? We have pretty much lost use of this clothes basket (there is a clothes basket under there!). A few weeks ago, I put a folded up piece of polar fleece fabric in the bottom of a basket that's in a corner of the guest bedroom. Itchey loves curling up in out of the way places, and as soon as she saw me with the polar fleece, she assumed it was for her. (No, they're not spoiled) Last night, she was curled up in the basket, and it seemed a little chilly, so I took a shawl I knitted a while ago and wrapped it around her and the basket. It was really cute, when I brought it in and before I even wrapped it around the basket, you could just tell from the look on her face that she knew it was for her.

PICT0684

14 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I love your necklaces!! I'm like you...I have my wedding band and engagement ring, another ring DH gave me for Christmas, and a bangle bracelet with diamond chips in it that was my wedding gift from DH. The rest of my jewelry is pretty low-end.....I do love some of my Celtic knotwork pieces, but they aren't pricey by any means!

Friday, October 13, 2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Kitties can be presumptious, can't they? I'm sure you realize that clothes basket will be hers from here on out. Probably the shawl, too. :-)

Our dog is like that...any blanket or cloth that's on the floor, he assumes is for him. He loves to bundle up like that.

Friday, October 13, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww... Itchey looks so sweet! :)

I inherited all of my mother-in-law's jewelry when she passed last year, so I now have jewelry out the wazoo, but I don't wear it much. I wear her diamond earrings my engagement and wedding rings everyday and that's it. I decided that I'm too lazy to switch jewelry all of the time, so I stick to simple pieces that I can wear 24/7, unless we're going out on some very rare occasion. :)

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Your beaded necklaces are very pretty. I don't have too much jewelry, but I do like it. ;p

Your kitty looks so cozy. Our collie loves to be wrapped up in blankets on the bed. She'll even pull the covers down and crawl under if no one is there to wrap her up and she's cold.

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger Meari said...

Nahhh... Not spoiled at all! ;) Kitty Kat seems to love her new spot.

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those necklaces are so pretty! Great job on them.

Itchy looks adorable and very content.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

The necklaces are pretty. Love the picture of your kitty. She looks just like my cat (who also is not spoiled). She looks very cozy that's for sure.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger Anne S said...

Itchey is soooooo cute in that photo :D Your necklaces look good too :)

Saturday, October 14, 2006 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Your jewelry looks great, Lynn :)

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I get so frustrated trying to match my limited jewelry (mostly inherited from my mom) to my outfits. What an incredibly cool idea to string some beads to match what you have! I especially like the one the second from the right, though the one on the left is quite elegant looking.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

That is one content cat!!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, how I love your kitty, and it makes me all fuzzy inside to see how you spoil. OF COURSE it was made just for him, LOL!!! Adorable!

And is there no end to your talents? I bet making the jewelry is tons of fun. I've looked over all the jewelry-making supplies in Walmart many times and wondered if I should try it.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Are you sure that shawl wasn't knit for Itchey, because she certainly seems to think so!

Great work with your weight loss, Lynn! Its such a struggle and one I'm currently in too. There's just no easy answer, just trying to find what works for each of us.

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Very nice necklaces! :) and kitty is adorable.

Monday, October 16, 2006 4:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home