Singular Stitches: Why I shouldn't attempt simple math

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Why I shouldn't attempt simple math

Firstly, thanks a HUGE bunch for all the anniversary well wishes. Thank you! From both me and DH!


I've always loved calculus, solving deriviatives and integrals. But, why is it that addition and subtraction elude me?

You may have noticed (or not!) that my ticker (just under my blog title) has been moving along a bit slow, but in the correct direction! That's OK, because I've been going for slow, steady weightloss. I realized this morning that my math was off by 5lbs.

I'm not totally hopeless as it seems with subtraction, because my bathroom scale is off. (It's always the scale's fault!) Whatever number you see when you step on, you must add 5 and that's your current weight. My ticker shows my net loss, and at some time, I started doing the same thing to that number. So, instead of -13, I'm actually at -18.

This is why DH won't let me near the checkbook!


My weightloss has been slow, but for good reason (the -18 is since the end of July). I really haven't posted much about it, just updated my ticker each week. I've tried many fad diets over the years, with the last one being Atkins, on which I actually lost about 50 pounds, but got tired of the menu and gained 28 back after stopping.

I've done a lot of thinking recently about why most diets don't work for me. Based on this, I've decided that I didn't want to do any fad diet, not follow a program that I have to pay for or deny myself foods I really like. They just don't work for me. I have years of my life to prove that.

So, I decided to go with the most basic (but hardest for me) approach - portion control. This means working with the brain and once and for all recalibrating it. After most meals, I would leave the table uncomfortably full. The brain would think I needed more food to satisfy my hungry feeling than I really did.


These are the two things that I think are my worst habits and have been working really hard to change:

1. No matter how hungry I am, I am still filling the same stomach (so being really, really hungry doesn't require more food than when moderately hungry)

2. No matter how good a food tastes, I don't need more of it to satisfy my hunger.


I've also found that, by working on the above, I've been thinking about food much less, and am just as happy only eating what my body really needs. I've also tried to eat more healthy, by adding more side salads and fruits to my diet and drinking more water. (It's amazing how much walking you can log just by walking to and from the ladies room a thousand times a day!) I do indulge in 'bad' foods when I want, too, just not as often and with a smaller serving size. I probably should be exercising more, but I really, really hate it, and am prefering to 'move more' than actually 'exercise'.

I'm far from perfect, and getting it totally right will take a long time, but this isn't a diet. I'm working on something to follow for the long haul.

We'll see how it goes! :o)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

You can do it! Learning to stop eating when I was full has been the hardest part of losing weight for me. It has taken me 10 months of working on it and I still slip (let's not mention the ice cream slip this week).
I discovered a Body Clutter menu at www.savingdinner.com that is working great with the family. The kids haven't noticed they are eating nutritional food, and hubby and I are losing weight (hand-in-hand with exercising more). They have a sample menu you can check out, and although it is a subscription service, we haven't gotten a repeat recipe in 4 months now, so you can always get the 3 month subscription and not eat the same thing more than 4 times in a year.

I still amintain the freezer was broken and the ice cream had to be eaten before it was Butter Pecan milk.

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You've lost 18 pounds thru portion control and good nutrition AND you have a wonderful attitude. I have no doubt that you'll reach your goal.

Give yourself a giant pat on the back!

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, well done! That's a great loss!

Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Way to go with your weight loss! Finding that error must of made you feel really good. Changing your diet for the long term has got to be one of the hardest things to do.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it caould be considered (I HATE exercise too), condider a dog. My dog insists on being walked everyday, even though we have a lovely backyard. He maintains my exercise habit by reminding me of the routine, and making me feel guilty otherwise. I have never been so consistant with exercise as I have in the past 2 years.

Friday, October 13, 2006 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger Singular Stitches said...

Monsoon, how funny, my sister recently suggested the same thing!

Our two kitties are enough!

Friday, October 13, 2006 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Meari said...

I agree with the bathroom comment. I drink a LOT of water during the day while at work. I am constantly in and out of the bathroom. I keep bottles of water in the frige at home, too. Water is good for you! It also fills up before meals so you eat less. Good luck on your weight loss. :)

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

18 lbs. in under three months is great!! Ditto what you said about the fad diets...been there, done that. We're just eating healthier at our house and the weight has come off (6 lbs. in about three weeks) with me never missing a beat (or a snack!). Keep up the good work (and the cat is WAY too cute!)

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your continuing weight loss! Forcing a change in your eating habits is a tough thing to do and I'm so proud that you are having success. :)

Saturday, October 14, 2006 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Congrats on your 18 pounds lost and on continuing to commit to a healthier lifestyle. I am on the weightloss journey as well and appreciate the inspiration you've given me!

Monday, October 16, 2006 1:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home