Singular Stitches: Me and My Sister

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Me and My Sister

I've never introduced you all to DSis. You'd know we were sisters if you just saw our faces and talked with us. That's pretty much where the similarities end. I'm the Soccer Mom type (and darn proud of it!) happily settled in Surburbia. My sister, who is nine years my junior, loves non-stop excitement and is the Urban Girl. (She's the one who encouraged me to get my tattoo!) She's a psych nurse and I remember talking with her one night on the phone after she got home where she told me excitedly that she was briefly taken hostage by a patient. (I'd be looking for another job ASAP! For her it was all in a day's work.) For as different as we are, however, we're thick as theives and any time we talk, we're laughing and are totally goofy! She now has an office position, and rarely does a work day go by that we don't email each other at least 100X.

It was funny, she texted me this past Saturday night, saying 'Hi' from her pub-crawl with some friends. I was happily at home, in my jammies, ripping CDs to my laptop, while knitting, kitties sitting with me and I could hear the engines of DH's plane roaring in his den above the Parlour...


DSis has been a long time Detroit Redwings fan, so to celebrate her highschool graduation in '95, we went to 'The Joe Lou' for a Redwings game. (Wow, what a hockey town!) This picture (a picture of a picture, sorry for the crappy quality) is of us right before we left. (I'm the one at the wheel)

PICT0668


Recently, she worked really hard to lose 50 pounds and now she's a tiny size 4. (She's my inspiration!) This picture was taken at The Race for a Cure in 2005. I love this picture! It reminds me of an Audrey Hepburn paparazzi shot. I even had an 8.5X11 print made that she autographed for me and it's hanging in my cubicle at work. I can't tell you how many times someone has stopped to look at the picture, trying to figure out who it is. (I always tell them she's a Victoria's Secret model ;o)

Picture 001


Anyways, the point (and there really is a point) is that last night I cast on for her Christmas present. While texting her during her Saturday evening activities, I subtly asked her if she had something that was knitted lace, would she prefer a scarf or a shawl? She'd like a shawl, hypothetically speaking, of course! (I'm so glad, I've never knit a lace shawl before!)

PICT0664

This design is the Swallowtail Shawl from the fall issue of Interweave Knits. Carolyn was my inspiration. (You must check out her blog - her knitting is gorgeous, and she's only been knitting for a couple years!)

I'm knitting this using Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (same yarn as my Mum's gray scarf) in Iris, which is a beautiful amethyst color, DSis's favorite, on US#5 circular needles. (I may have to switch to a less slippy needle, like bamboo) What you see in the picture is two hour's worth of work, and with some figuring and writing out of instructions. I was really surprised at how fast it went, much quicker than the scarf. Of course, this gets bigger as I go. The pinned side that's not on the needles is the top, which is the part closest to the model's ponytail.

Note: I wanted to share a podcast I found (and you can still listen over your PC if you don't have an MP3 player): KnitTunes. Maura has created a number of episodes with music conducive to knitting differnt types of projects. I listened to the Lace episode last night while working on DSis's shawl. I highly recommend tuning in!


And here is an update on the Widgeons. The big duck is almost complete, I've done some 'ground' and a little on the little duckie.

PICT0669

7 Comments:

Blogger Von said...

Your sis is going to be bowled over with that gorgeous shawl!! How lucky you both have each other and obviously share a very close bond. :D

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Wow, you and your sister sound a lot like my sister and me - polar opposites on just about any topic, from tastes in music and clothing to politics and social activities.

Oddly enough, that "paparazzi" picture of your sister looks a lot like some pictures of my sister...same smile, same sunglasses, similar hair style. Too weird!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Anne S said...

What a wonderful bond you have with your Sis, that's awesome :D And the duckies are looking stunning! :D

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such a wonderful relationship with you sister and it is truly a blessing. Your sisters shawl is really beautiful and she is going to love it. Your duck is so cute! Your doing a great stitching job.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yep, I have a sis like that, too. Very different from me in so many ways, but we are (finally!) quite close. The shawl you are knitting for her is gorgeous, and from the way you describe her and the pic of your progress, I think it will be a perfect gift. I can "see" it on her!!!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger Carto said...

Hey sweetie!

Wow what a lovely shawl - Sis is going to be mighty happy with that I can tell you.! Isn't it great when you get on with your sibling(s)? I have pretty much the same relationship with my two elder Sisters - and during my recent troubles, they've been absolutely fantastic, what with encouraging me and making me laugh when all I want to do is cry. YAY for Sisters!! xx

Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, your sister looks fabulous in that photo! I bet people buy your story that she's a VS model all of the time. :)

The shawl that you've started for her is gorgeous. She's going to LOVE it!

Friday, October 06, 2006 11:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home