Singular Stitches: What I've been up to...

Thursday, October 26, 2006

What I've been up to...

I've been knitting DSis' shawl on metal circs (which were just a bit too slippery), and even though I know I shouldn't change needles mid-project, I was at a spot in the project where it wouldn't be obvious if the needles were slightly different size. I made a trip to a LYS and picked up some new Addi bamboo circs, some circs to make the Skull Flap Hat and of course, I couldn't leave without some sock yarn jumping into my arms. I finally have my hands on a skein of Trekking XXL and two skeins of Regia Bamboo in the coolest pink color with flecks of darker pink and burgundy that reminds me of strawberry ice cream.



I'm very disappointed in the Addi bamboo circs. I bought two 32" US#4 and US#5. Overall, I love Addi needles and have never had any issue with any of the umpteen other pairs I own. But, on these, there's just enough of a space at the join, that with laceweight yarn, it gets caught on it. Both needles have the same join.

Here's a (bit blurry) picture of the join. I like the feel of wood needles over plastic, so I'll be looking for some replacement needles.




I joined another knitalong, this one is 'Who Wouldn't Love a Handknit Gift' (new button in sidebar -->), which draws all of us knitters madly stitching up gifts for our loved ones, while nervously glancing at the calendar, hoping that we won't have to pull an all-nighter on December 24th (which, BTW, I have done before!).

My Knitted Gifties:
1. Mom Scarf (MIL)
2. Mum Scarf (My Mum)
3. Swallowtail Shawl (DSis)
4. Skull Flap Hat (DSis' BF)
5. Knitted Cap (My Dad)

My Sewn Gifties:
1. LLBean type socks (MIL, Mum, Dad, DSis & her BF)
2. Black Polarfleece pants (My Dad)



Fabric designation:

Card Suits - My Mum
Snowflakes - My MIL
Skull & Flames - DSis' BF
Green Dinos - My Dad
Princess - DSis (this is SO her)
Kitty - My Mum (and me!) I LOVE this fabric, I bought extra for a pair for me
Camo & Puzzle Pieces - Not sure yet, might make something for DH

The black snowflake sock (just sitting there all pretty) is from a pair I've made for myself a few years ago. It's from a (now discontinued) McCalls's pattern that I am going use as a basis. It's made from three pieces, sole, back and top/front. I have an elastic stitch on my sewing machine that I use, because it has give so the thread won't break when you pull them on.


And keeping with the sock yarn, I finished my Socktoberfest socks while watching Sunshine (Sad, but very, very good) a couple days ago.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karoline said...

The socks are lovely, congratulations

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I can see how those knitting needles could be annoying. I like the sock yarn you bought and the fabrics are all very pretty. Congratulations on finishing your Socktoberfest socks too. :)

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm totally intrigued here!!! I've NEVER seen socks sewn like the ones you're showing and are planning to make. Wow!!! My mind is racing with the thought of it! Any chance on sharing the out of print pattern number? I'd love to search for that old McCall's pattern!

Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:21:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Great to be planning ahead! I love those socks you plan to make, how original! I'd love to give that a go too.

Friday, October 27, 2006 2:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn is lovely, but I can see how te problem in the joint of the knitting needles could really become annoying.

I love the socks! I've never made them mysef, but I have a long time friend who would love it if I did - I'll have to put them on the list of things to try...

Friday, October 27, 2006 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Count me curious about the fleece socks, too! I don't know how to knit, but basic sewing is getting easier for me, and I've been told that fleece is relatively easy to work with. I'm striving for a "homemade Christmas" this year, and those would make great gifties for the guys on my list!!

Friday, October 27, 2006 11:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home