Singular Stitches: Furniture!

Monday, October 16, 2006

Furniture!

Remember when we got our new chair for the cats from MIL at the end of July? We also were given two antique dressers for our bedroom. The dressers went straight to my parents' house so my Dad could strip and refinish them for us (because he's such a great guy!).

He finished them last week, and we brought them home this weekend. He used a mahogany stain, and because a number of different woods were used in the construction of these dressers, the stain varied in color, which really adds some wonderful character to them. MIL figures that these dressers are probaby somewhere around 60 years old. I love them and as far as I'm concerned, we're finished looking for bedroom furniture.

Here's DH's dresser:
PICT0692

And here's mine:
PICT0697

And isn't that wallpaper in our bedroom just the ugliest you've ever seen??? It was in the house when we bought it and it reminds me of dollar store wrapping paper. I hate it! I didn't inherit the 'wallpaper/paint gene' from my Mum (who changed the wallpaper/paint in any given room in their home on a 6mo rotating basis), so I'm pretty much waiting for it to fall off the walls. LOL! No, actually, now that we're starting to have a fully furnished room, I want to do some decorating in it.


I took a vacation day today and besides staying in my jammies all day, I cross stitched and knitted and listened to podcasts. Abner doubled as feline velcro and didn't move much from my side or lap, except when I went to the loo or refilled my coffee cup.

I'll post a picture of my duck progress on Anne's RR tomorrow. (my cross stitch is downstairs and I'm upstairs, computing from the comfort of my bed and don't quite feel like moving right at the moment - at least I'm honest! :o)


Since I'm on the home stretch of the Mom scarf, I'll need something to work on during the commute with DH. Mum's lace scarf and DSis's lace shawl require my undivided attention. So, I started a sweater that I've wanted to make for ages (probably about a decade). It's from Tweeds and Friends V from Tahki yarns. I started it a couple years ago, but it has some small lacy areas. I had never had done any lace back then, so after about three futile attempts, I just gave up. Since I've been knee-deep in lace since July, I found this time around, it was much easier.

Between knitting while waiting for dinner to bake and watching Vertigo (can't get the U2 song out of my head, either. Hello, Hello I'm at a place called Vertigo) this evening, I was able to complete the lace rows on the bottom front, so that now it's just plain stockinette (knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side) for about 13", which is perfect mindless knitting for the car.

The yarn is Rowan Calmer in a beautiful, deep vivid purple and I'm knitting it with US#7 Addi Turbos.

PICT0699

10 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Cook said...

Great furniture, and what a great dad! For the wallpaper, I highly recommend renting a steamer (cheap!) from Home Depot (or whatever). It will cut the job down to 1/4 of the time and you'll save the walls behind.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I wouldn't have said, but since you ask...yep, that is one ugly wallpaper! LOL The furniture looks great though. :D

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The dressers are just beautiful. Your father did a fantastic job! My DH ripped down all the wallpaper in our house when we bought it. I don't think I'd have the patience to do it--- it was a lot of work! But the house really didn't feel like "ours" until we took that down.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:13:00 AM  
Blogger Myrna said...

That's going to be one very pretty sweater!

The dressers turned out beautiful.

Enjoy the day...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:39:00 AM  
Blogger Kali said...

OMG My dresser LOL!! I have one that could be a mate to the tall chest dresser :) I even have the same drawer pulls on it. The refinishing turned out fabulous, I love the colors of the wood.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a dad you have. :) He did a beautiful job on stripped and refinishing those dressers. They are gorgeous! Congratulations on having nailed down your bedroom furniture. We're still trying to find just the right set ourselves.

Sounds like you are having a fun day off, enjoy! I love the color and style of that sweater. I can't wait to see more. :)

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dressers are great!! You know, tearing off old wall paper, particularly when you really don't like it, can be almost therapeutic! The purple sweater is going to be so pretty.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Your dressers are absolutely beautiful-your Dad did a beautiful job.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Meari said...

Those are great dressers!

Friday, October 20, 2006 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel Leigh Smith said...

The dressers are so beautiful!! I love late Victorian furniture.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home