Singular Stitches: Crafting for a cause

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Crafting for a cause

My maternal grandfather always said he never trusted anyone who didn't like animals. Not those who are afraid of big dogs or those who just can't warm to fish in a tank, but those who don't treat animals with respect. I firmly believe this.

We've dubbed my Mum 'Mother Nature' because if anyone can nurse a sick animal to health or get even the most unfriendly house pet to be putty in her hand, it's my Mum. She even has all the neighborhood birds, squirrels, chipmunks and deer coming up to her back door when she's late putting out snacks for them! She can tell you, at any given moment, what her companion kitties (and ferret) are feeling and want. (Thankfully, this is a skill that I have, too)


I've grown up seeing kindness being paid to all living creatures, so it's only natural that animal advocacy is near and dear to my heart.

My kitties are Shelter Kitties, and for all the joy they've added to our lives, I've tried to find ways that I can give back to those animals who have not yet found their 'permanent' home.


One thing I've done is participate in the Snugglies project. Snugglies are knitted or crocheted blankets made from machine washable yarn to give the animals still at the shelter something warm to curl up on. (It's a great way to use up all of that acrylic yarn hiding in your closet!)

You can find out more about the Snugglie program here. And if you're interested in helping, you can even find a shelter local to you that accepts snugglies. (If you do decide to help out, I'd suggest contacting the shelter first, to get a contact name.)

Cold winter months are coming up, and what kitty or puppy wouldn't like thier own wubbie to cuddle up with? :o)


At very least, give your companion animal(s) a big hug tonight! :o)

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My cat is a shelter kitty as well :) She is the best cat with the kids and is so sweet. My daughters do a project every year with their scout troop called Happy Sock where they take lost socks and fill them with cat nip for shelter cats. They also collect old towels and small blankets.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

What a wonderful charity idea! Sadly, I can't knit or crochet....but I do make monetary donations to the Humane Society here. Our dog came from the Humane Society, and the cat from another shelter. (I have a soft spot for not just shelter animals, but "damaged" shelter animals...Mina - the cat - was thrown from a moving car in front of the shelter and has a reconstructed jaw/"snaggly" front teeth as a result, and Lily the dog was evidently SHOT with several rounds of buckshot at some point in her life.)

Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a great idea! It makes me sad just thinking about all those poor little animals in the shelters. I'll be sure to give my puppy an extra big hug tonight. :)

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger Meari said...

What a worthwhile project. Keep it up. :)

Friday, October 20, 2006 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

My husband and I feel exactly the same as you (and your readers!) about animals. We feel that we couldn't trust anyone who doesn't have any regard for animals. I used to work for a guy who never had pets, and he was a really nice person (to people!). The other girl in our office used to bring her dog in every day and it would sit under her desk all day, not minding people coming and going at all. But whenever this one guy came near the dog, it would growl and bare its teeth. We always wondered about that man afterwards.
All our pets have been from the RSPCA or Cat Protection Society. We still go to the CPS (which isn't far from us) now and then, just to spend an hour or so patting all the homeless cats.
Sorry this is so long...bit more than a comment - lol!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

What a great cause! Soon as I get my knitting up to standard, I'll ask at my local shelter (where I volunteer) if they could use some of these!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home