Singular Stitches: Laboring away...

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Laboring away...

This past weekend in the US was the Labor Day holiday weekend, with Labor Day itself on Monday, giving us a nice long weekend (and we took Tuesday off too). It marks the end of the summer holiday as most school-aged children know it.

Does anyone remember the TV commercial (Staples, I think), where 'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year' is playing and the Dad is happily going down a school supply aisle with the shopping cart and the kids are dragging their feet along behind? Hee Hee


I did some laboring of my own, and here's what I have to show for it:

A bit on The Marriage of Minds:




And some on Shifting Sands:



I had a bit of a quandry with this project. I originally bought a Debbie Bliss alpaca/silk blend yarn to make this scarf for MIL. However, when I started knitting it up, I found that the yarn was not substantial enough for the pattern. I didn't like the way it looked. I don't know how else to describe it, but the stitches looked wimpy, and it was hard to really see the affect of the 'shifting sands' (or, since I'm using light blue, is it rippling waters? :o)

I was in JoAnn Fabrics and came across Bernat Satin, which is a really soft, acrylic yarn. I bought one skein to try it out. It's a little bit stiffer, and the pattern really stands out nicely. (It also comes in a beautiful light blue, which is one of the top criteria) I'm not a yarn snob, and neither is MIL, so although I feel a bit bad replacing silk with acrylic, the acrylic yarn will better do the job, and it's very pretty and feels very soft, so that's all I have to say about that.


To get me laboring along, DH and I watched Charade, That Touch of Mink and The Howards of Virginia. I watched Broadway Melody of 1940, Royal Wedding, Follow the Fleet, and Silk Stockings. DH has been on a Cary Grant kick and I've been working my way though Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies.

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Your WIPs are both looking beautiful! I love how your shifting sands are turning out. You really watched a lot didn't you?!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

I really like your choice in movies...I've seen all of those 4.

If you like "Silk Stockings", you might also like "The Bandwagon", which pairs Fred Astaire with Cyd Charisse again.

Don't know if you get Turner Classic Movies, but it's a *great* channel for catching all kinds of classic movies.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 8:28:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Great movies!! I love anything with Cary Grant in it. And I love the scarf too. sometimes acrylic is teh way to go. There are some really nice soft ones out there and there is nothing wrong with using them.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Laci said...

Both Wips look fantastic! I love the scarf!!!

Sunday, September 09, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Myrna said...

I remember that commercial! And, that is still the way I feel in the fall! LOL

Your WIP look great...

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Excellent start on Marriage of the Minds:)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Hazel said...

Great progress on both. xx

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very cool movies . . .

The shifting sands is fantastic. Wow!

Monday, September 17, 2007 2:08:00 PM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Shifting Sands is looking wonderful, what a fun pattern. Glad you found some yarn that works well with the design. Loved the choice of movies you've been watching. Charade and Touch of Mink are two of my favorites. I like the older movies so much better than most of the newer ones.
Sue

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Aussie Stitcher said...

They are both looking lovely.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home