Singular Stitches: Very overdue...

Monday, June 23, 2008

Very overdue...

I've been around, and have been crafty, just not posting about it. The dying battery in my camera may have something to do with it...

A few weeks back, we got an early dose of 3H weather (hazy, hot and humid), which ususally doesn't start until late July, early August. So, inside with the AC, I decided to go through my cross stitch projects to see if something caught my eye. A couple did, and I pulled out:

1. Homespun Elegance, Love is the Star. It's one of those projects I started years ago, but knew I'd come back to.



I've always loved the sentiment of this piece:

"Love is the star that lights our way when evening brings us home".

Since I last worked on this piece, I finished the bricks on the house and started the front walkway, fence and little fir trees. Which I did while listening to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - an excellent book which I highly recommend!

2. Prairie Schooler Book 60 Spring Samplers, again, something I started years ago. This is so old, that it's discontinued, and so I had to find a picture on eBay. I'm doing the one on the far left:



And here's my progress:



I guess you'll have to wait until I stitch some more to see who all is working together! ;o)

The green border at the bottom, looking like it's going nowhere is what I worked on during lunch today. It was so beautiful outside that I gathered up my ziploc of cross stitch (it keeps it fresh!) and went out to the front of our building, and sat on a wall by some flower beds. I did not want to come back in!


I've also been knitting. I almost always try to have a sock on the needles. They're so portable, and if you get stuck waiting somewhere, you can pull it out and feel like you've accomplished something!



It's funny, I started a post a little while back, and had an update picture for the first sock of this pair of socks, but from the time I took the picture until this post today, I finished the first sock and cast on for the second! :oP

I was shopping for some lace yarn (for a stole I'm making for DSis - I'll post more about that when I actually have some progress to show!) at The Loopy Ewe - Excellent sock/lace online yarn store!! - when I came across Riblitts.

What an adorable design! I bought Dream in Color's Gothic Rose , a fingering (sock) weight yarn, and am knitting it on US#0 DPNs. The colors are a dusty brownish mauve and a muted violet, almost like the colors of faded roses and violets. Very gothic looking.

It's been a fast, enjoyable knit. This is the first mitt, and up just up past the thumb opening. The thumb stitches are patiently sitting on a green ribbon, and when I finish the hand part, I'll go back and work the thumb.





And here's a closeup on the under-wrist, which is cleverly knit in 1X1 rib, so they fit snugly at the wrist:




DH and I went to the Three Rivers Arts Festival. It's a well-known Pittsburgh fact that it always rains during the Arts Festival. And, while we were there the weekend before last, it didn't disappoint! We were able to see all the arts & crafts booths before the rain really let loose, and even found a bench sheltered by a leafy arbor (so we only got dripped on occasionally) to listen to a steel drum band made up on local high school kids. They were fabulous and the music was awesome!! (The bench was behind the stage)



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you guys! Only knitting here... Lots of socks!
Vikki

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I love that Homespun Elegance pattern. I've got the strangest taste in stitching....sometimes the traditional-style designs really speak to me, other days I want nothing but dragons and fairy tale designs..... *sigh*

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home