Singular Stitches: Now my poor father doesn't have to hop

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Now my poor father doesn't have to hop

They say haste makes waste, and I'm living proof. After discovering the stitch shortage on my Dad's 2nd sock, I hastily got it restarted and, of course, in my rush, made some mistakes (nothing as big as the previous one) that caused me to rip out and reknit.

So *finally*, here are my father's completed Christmas socks:



And the other side:



That's the fun of hand painted yarn, you just never know exactly how the colors will arrange themselves. I bought both skeins at the same time, but they look totally different.

For the non-knitters out there, those sections of the same color, like the white secions, and that big red and white stripped secion - that's called pooling.

These were finished while watching Stardust. It was a wonderfully-magical-fairy-tale-and-of-course-you-will-need-some-tissues-for-the-ending movie. Robert DiNero's character was very amusing. I highly recomment it.

Now that these are done, I felt the need to start not one, but two new projects:

1. A scarf for DSis. She likes animal print so I started this scarf:



It's Caron Jewel Box in the Deep Jasper colorway. I'm using a ChicKnits Buttonhole Chic scarf pattern on US#9 needles. about 7" up, there is an opening knit into the scarf so the other end of the scarf can feed through, and the ends cross over.


2. Socks for me! I just love the 2-circ method of knitting socks, so I'm making another pair, this time, I want to learn the Short Row Heel mothod (the way the heel is made on store bought socks). I'm using these instructions from Cosmic Pluto's blog for the heel. Otherwise, it's just a plain top-down sock.

The colorway of the yarn intrigues me. For those of you old enough to remember non-microwave popcorn, there was a jar of corn you could buy that was all colorful. The popped part would still be off-white (I remember being so bummed that it wasn't the color of the kernel), but the kernel attached would be some pretty color. The colors of this yarn remind me of a jar of that corn.




And, would you guess who jumped out of my Xstitch basket and demanded some stitching time? None other than Fairy Flora!



Indeed! It was like meeting up with a dear old friend. *sniff* I thought I took an updated picture, but it doesn't appear so. I started stitching on the turquoise part on the left by her knee. It was a darker color (924) below what's there. I'll try to get a more updated picture soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you were able to finish your father's socks finally. It's funny how two skeins of the same colorway can look so varied, isn't it? I agree that your latest sock color looks like that popcorn. And congrats on bringing Flora out to play for a little while. :)

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Gorgeous socks! Or are they handsome, since they're for a man? :-)

I'm in total awe of them! I would love to have that kind of talent, but unfortunately I have issues with simple knitting, and I don't even want to mention my problems with purling. And that's for just a little square. I just can't quite get the hang of it.

Maybe one of these days...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger Wawanna said...

Wow, love the colors of your colored-popcorn socks. Show us a picture when you get a little further along, they are going to be yummy!!!! It's hard to find time to fit in the knitting, cross-stitch and other things we like to do...something always has to give. Loved checking in with what you are doing.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home